|Austrian Baked Cheesecake|
- 60g soft unsalted butter
- 140g caster sugar
- 280g cream cheese
- 60g ground almonds
- 60g fine semolina
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 small lemon
- 10 apricots (optional)
- Handful flaked almonds (optional)
- 20cm cake tin
To make it
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Grease and line the cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Separate the eggs and set aside.
- Zest and juice the lemon and set aside.
- Chop the apricots (skins on) into small cubes and set aside.
- Measure out the butter, sugar and cream cheese together and beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolks and set aside.
- Now whisk the egg whites til you get stiff peaks. As Amy is demonstrating, you should be able to hold the bowl over your head without anything dropping out!
- Fold in the ground almonds, semolina, vanilla extract, lemon juice and zest into the cream mixture.
- Now fold in the egg whites.
- Pour half the mixture into the tin, then pile in half of the chopped apricots and then pour in the rest of the mixture.
- Level out the top and then bake for 50 minutes.
- We threw some flaked almonds on top for a little crunch and played Polly Pockets and My Little Pony while we waited.
- To make the apricot purée, simply heat the remaining apricots with 2 tbsp of water until they are all mushy and melted. Then purée to remove any lumps.